3 Ways for Busy Entrepreneurs to Relax & Recharge
Everyone gets busy if they allow it. People make time for what matters most to them. People tend to think that they will increase whatever they focus on. However, only making time for business can cause stress, and it actually halts profits. The brain needs relaxation to avoid burn out and to allow for creativity. This means that entrepreneurs need to step away from business every so often to increase profits. If you’re really strapped for time, consider these options for your busy lifestyle.
Be in the Moment
This sounds easier than it is. You may often find yourself in an enjoyable activity only to be thinking about the next day sending emails, making phone calls and other tasks. You can’t truly enjoy anything if your mind is on something else. This requires you to actively think about enjoying the current activity, and this means you will have to be unplugged for a while. Whatever you have chosen to do, completely disconnect from potential distractions. Turn your phone off, and make sure no one can contact you. Don’t read about the news, social media networks or anything else.
We have already covered that stress prevents creative thinking and halts profits, but stress also causes illness in the body. The best way to get rid of stress is to seek relaxation. There are a variety of activities to do that provide instant relaxation. Even spending 15 minutes every so often has promising effects on overall well-being.
Ways to Relax:
- Meditate—Choose encouraging words to tell yourself, and allow stress to melt away.
- Breathe—Take time to close your eyes, and focus on deep breathing.
- Laugh or Smile— The act of laughing or smiling has positive effects on the brain. These two actions lower stress, decrease pain naturally, improve sleep and provide overall well-being.
- Lie Down—While lying down, tense every muscle in the body. Slowly, release one part of the body after another beginning with your feet. End at your head. Feel each part of your body completely relax until all of your body is.
- Exercise—Do yoga, go for a walk or run. Do an activity that will get your blood moving and provide you a form of focus. Just having the intent to do your body good has positive effects on your well-being.
Your Home, Your Sanctuary
Even if ou’re the busiest person in the world, you will spend time in your home during the day or night. Make your home a place of supreme relaxation so that relaxation comes naturally. Fill your home with everything you love. This means that you should choose textures, fabrics, colors and items that make you feel at your best. For instance, place a comfy chair in front of your fireplace, and drink your favorite tea there. Keep sounds of the ocean or water trickling on at all times if that is what you love. Be bold in your decision to surround yourself with what you love. You will be naturally happier doing so.
Life doesn’t have to be as difficult as we make it to be. We have decisions all of the time. If you are too busy to take time for yourself, you’re selling yourself short. This does not make for good business. You are your best asset. Act like it.
Chris Burch is a venture capitalist and founder of Burch Creative Capital.